Salted Nut Bars (Thousand Dollar Bars)
-makes 32 bars
½ cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 ½ cups flour
Mix to a crumbly mixture and press into the bottom of a buttered 9X13" pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
Pour a 12 ounce can of mixed nuts over the crust.
Melt and mix:
6 oz. package of butterscotch chips
2 ½ Tblsp. of butter
½ cup Karo clear syrup
Pour evenly over nuts and bake for 10 minutes more at 350 degrees.
- We all really liked the premium nut mix without peanuts, more cashews!
- Like chocolate? You can mix a 6 oz. package of chocolate chips with the nuts. Sprinkle both over the warm crust and then continue with the rest of recipe as written.
- When you bake the butterscotch mixture it will get bubbly and slightly darker, that’s good, because when it cools it will turn clear and shiny, more like candy than gooey butterscotch.
- Do cool before you cut them.
- Do NOT refrigerate before you cut these, or they will be tooooo difficult to cut.