Dr. Dave's famous HIGH-Powered Protein Pancakes!!
(From Dave Fiorazo)
"It's a whole meal, and it's not just for breakfast anymore"!!!
Start with your favorite pancake mix, measured for 8-12 pancakes, for Krusteaz I used about 1 1/2 cups of mix.
Add: three egg whites and three whole eggs.
1 cup milk or water (skim milk will give you more vitamins and protein than water)
2 - 3 heaping scoops of vanilla protein powder.
There are 3 types of pro-powder. Whey protein tastes the best and mixes well, soy protein is a bit more dry.
Add: 2 cups of Oatmeal, quick or old-fashioned both work.
Add: 1 tablespoon of oil
And, finally, 1 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries (or the fruit of choice)
Add more milk or water if the mix is too thick. The pancakes will be larger and dryer than you may be used to, but the house will smell like blueberry muffins!!
Dr. Dave's suggestion to add taste without adding calories:
Top your cakes with half the butter and half the syrup you're used to using, and add some low fat vanilla yogurt on top! (Another great choice is cinnamon applesauce on top!)
EDITOR'S NOTE: Don't worry about the carbs . . . you get lots of protein, low fat goodness and energy, and breakfast is THE most important meal of the day to jump-start your metabolism!!
- These do cook up like flat, hearty muffins rather than a pancake consistency.
- I am hooked! One pancake, plain with a bit of jam or a blueberry cake with nothing added, plus a glass of milk or cup of tea leaves me satisfied until past lunch time. I can even pass up the donuts in the break room, because I honestly don’t care!
- I make a batch once a week (half plain, half blueberry-for variety), wrap individually in plastic wrap and freeze. Either toast or microwave one each morning for a great, quick breakfast. I prefer to wrap in a paper towel and microwave until just thawed and warm-don’t over nuke!!!
- I added a couple tablespoons of wheat germ.
- I also used unflavored protein powder and added 2 teasp. of vanilla extract.
- Size varies according to your appetite, I make 8.