Cheery Cherry Christmas Bread
1 cup sugar
½ cup butter
1 tsp. baking soda
3 Tbsp. hot water
3 bananas, mashed
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup mini-chocolate chips
1 (12 oz.) jar maraschino cherries, sliced in halves
Cream sugar, butter and eggs.
Mix baking soda and water and add to egg mixture.
Stir in bananas, flour, and salt.
Fold in chocolate chips and cherries.
Pour into a well greased and floured loaf pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for one hour, or it passes the ‘toothpick test’
Makes 1 loaf.
- CFR staff and Sharathon volunteers LOVE this bread!
- This is a wonderfully moist and flavorful treat, great with coffee.
- Freezes very well. Make several ahead, to have on hand for the holidays.
- Make smaller loaves, wrap them up in pretty plastic wrap and add a bow for great gifts!
- I love to use quick bread recipes to make little muffins. They’re quicker and they’re always so moist, and easy to eat, and eat, and....
- Don’t like cherries? You can replace the cherries with ½ cup of nuts. It won’t be cherry bread then, but it’s still definitely CHEERY!