Spicy Potato Sausage Soup
(it’s Green and Gold!)
1 Tblsp. Olive oil
1 pound spicy Italian sausage
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 ½ cups water
2 -14 ½ ounce cans chicken broth
3 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
salt and pepper
4 cups kale, stems removed, coarsely chopped
1 cup cream
Heat oil in a dutch oven and cook sausage until it begins to shrink and brown slightly.
Remove from heat, drain with a slotted spoon and save the sausage.
Cook onion in the sausage drippings until translucent.
Add garlic, pepper flakes, and cook one minute more.
Add water and broth, stir to loosen any bits on the bottom of the pot.
Add potatoes, salt and pepper if desired.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer 10 minutes.
Add kale and sausage, simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Stir in cream, heat through and serve.
- Feel free to adjust the "heat", mild sausage works great, and red pepper isn’t for everyone.
- I use milk. Sometimes I thicken it slightly with a bit of flour, to give it the richer texture the cream would.
- 3 cups of potatoes, can use reds or goldens and you don’t even have to peel them.
- Try Kielbasa, your favorite sausage, or turkey sausage!
- Never be afraid to talk to the produce man and take home something new! He can give you suggestions as to how to prepare it too.